Friday, June 27, 2014

Love Your Neighbor

Next to loving the Lord, one of God's greatest commandments is to love our neighbor. Sure, it's easy enough to love our friends, family and people that are easy to get along with. But what about the difficult people? I must admit, I struggle terribly with following this commandment. There's a girl at work who I've invited to church the past couple of Sunday's. She's an international student who is very friendly and talkative and I know she doesn't have that many friends here. Yes, my heart goes out to her that she doesn't have many friends here, but it took me over 10 months just to invite her to church! Why did I wait so long? If I'm telling the truth, it's because I knew she could talk my ear off, and that she doesn't have a car, so Jordan and I would have to pick her up. How terrible is that?! Yet the more I tell myself that God wants me to love her, the more I actually do love her! What bothered me before, no longer bothers me. In obeying God's command to love one another, He made it easier for me to love a difficult person. Who knows what God has planned next for my friend. I'm hoping He is using me to open her eyes to Christ's love. I pray that God will continue to show me the people around me who need love, and to help me love them, so that they might see Christ's love in me.

Perfectly fitting, my memory verse this week:

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”  --John 13:34-35

No comments:

Post a Comment